This blog is intended to document my time at the Angel Academy in Florence. I will be posting here on a regular basis and hope that my students will benefit from my experiences here.
The morning session is from 9:30 - 12:30. During the morning, we will work on the Bargue drawings. So far I had to redo my paper set-up. I had small imperfections in the paper just from handling it and it did not pass the inspection by the instructor! Strict discipline! The goal is three Bargue drawings, each getting progressively harder. The instructor told us that each drawing may take 2 or more weeks. This surprised most people because they do not look difficult. ( But, if I had to redo the paper, just imagine what will be redone with the drawing!) If you are not familiar with Bargue drawings, Google them to see examples. At the end of the day, I had my board setup complete and began making measurements with a string and a pencil. I had about half of the required points plotted for the first day. It was tiring. Each point is plotted three times for accuracy. Tomorrow will bring more points and erasing.
The afternoon session runs from 2:00 til 5:00pm. This class time is spent drawing a live model. Today we did not have a model, but an orientation. We were given a supply list and sketchy directions to the art store located on the other side of the Arno River. I followed the group and was semi-lost along the way. The art store trip was an experience - 24+ people in a well supplied store about 20ft. x20ft. in size. It was stuffy and hot which sent several people outside before they fainted. Most of us were able to get all the supplies. I still need a few things.
There will be demonstrations and lectures, a portrait drawing session in the evenings. The portrait session is open to students who "pass" the Bargue drawings (my first goal).
I do not have a formal painting class, but asked if a 4th year student or an instructor would be available for private instruction. I will find out tomorrow if this can be arranged. Tonight, we will have dinner and then homework - another Bargue drawing of a foot.
Caio!



No comments:
Post a Comment