Wednesday, October 20, 2010

3rd Level Bargue, Here I Come...

Yes, it is official. I was able to select a 3rd level Bargue this afternoon. The photo is of the 2nd level drawing in its final state.



The first level dealt with high contrast - dark shadows, very little halftone along the "bed bug" line and light areas. The second level dealt with a more complex arrangement of dark shadows, halftone areas and light areas. The transitions between these values require a great deal of work and patience. So, the third level Bargues have even more halftone areas and transitions, as well as, smaller areas of detail. This drawing has a large amount of halftone and soft light areas which are difficult to do with pencil. The less "stomping" that is used and the more that can be accomplished with just a pencil the greater the level of success. That is the new goal - just pencil work to produce very light values and smooth transitions. The drawing I will be copying is of a death mask taken from a young girl who drowned in the Siene River during the 1800's. I will get the copy tomorrow and take a photo of it for you. It will be a very good drawing from which to learn how to draw a portrait.

During the afternoon, we had our standard figure drawings. Here are the results . The constructs were drawn and then the soft, sketchy lines were sharpened with the short, straight articulation lines. Even though the short lines are straight they do result in a curved look to the figure. Straight lines are easier to move or correct than curved lines. Write that down - and use it .



On the still life, I have my supplies and have the first step completed : the campitura. The campitura is the toning of the white canvas with a mid-value hue.  I have always called this the imprimatura, but have been told that the white gesso layer is actually the imprimature. (Prima - meaning "first") A smooth, portrait grade canvas was used. It was covered with a thin raw umber and white mixture. The surface was tapped with a sponge to produce a slight textured surface. Now, I have to wait for Friday to begin the painting.

The objects are a loaf of bread, white pitcher, brown egg,  green pot and a tea cloth. Each represents a different texture while in the same hue (color family). The green pot is the complement. I have the shadow box established and the lighting set. A shadow box is used at the school for all still lifes. The drawing is done sight size on paper or the canvas. I have done sight-size before, so I can do it on the canvas. I will explain this in another post.



These are common things that you could find too and paint along with me!

5 comments:

  1. congratulations on your move up! nice work
    vid

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes I will but the green pot will have to be jut the high light because you can not see the pot in the photo to well. looks like you are enjoying you self.
    Mary Frances........ACFD/ easelweasels

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great art work...watch your back with the due guy, lots of sour grapes coming out of his part of Firenze.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GramFran here:

    We knew that you had great ability and now you are proving it. Love your artwork and I'm very proud of you. Miss you.
    Love,
    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the still life Beth! Still think nice expensive Italian shoes would have been a great addition but maybe you can buy those on the side anyways.

    Suzy and I hit open session on Friday. We decided to throw caution to the wind and try to paint a canvas in one day (no underpainting ... OH GOD!). Suzy hit the canvas in oils ... I hit a board in pastels (first time I pulled these out in 8 years). Doing pumpkins because what else would you do this time of year in the Midwest! You would be proud of us both. We actually had sometime of paint covering the canvas. We're back to our hold habits though ... thank god we keep each other in check! Me ... straight line at the bottom of the pumpkin ... remember the bottom of the statue? Suzy ... too dark ... like all painters in the MIdwest. Love the updates. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete