I have been playing in the dark all day today. The still life class this morning brought big, bold changes to the painting. After squinting and squinting...I mixed a new batch of paint and went into the right side of the bowl. After laying in one large, dark shape, I went back in and made modifications in terms of value and temperature. As soon as the dark went in, the bottle settled into the shadow cast on it. The area between the two objects felt better. I softened the fabric folds to send them back in space and lightened the foreground a bit. Next Tuesday, I will work in the shadow on the left side - it needs to be on an angle and narrower. The bottom left of the bowl isn't quite right - especially the transition between the values. And in the center of the bowl towards the middle and down, I need to lighten it slightly and warm the area. This should help the belly of the bowl come forward.
This photo is from Tuesday.
This photo is from today. Note the differences and how strong the objects feel now.
I finished the Bargue figure drawing. It was supposed to last into next week, but now I can use the time to work on the Bargue drawing of the young lady.
And here is the progress on the young lady from Wednesday morning. Most of the work was done in the dark side of the face: bringing out the lips, definition in the cheeks and chin, along the nose and on the eyelid. Her expression is beginning to come alive.
And finally, the afternoon pose. I developed the transitions from shadow to light, put in his face, did the fabric folds and worked in the torso shapes.
So much to do, so little time left.



No comments:
Post a Comment