Saturday, December 11, 2010

Farewell Florence

The last two days have been hectic. I finished the still life painting Thursday morning and then rushed over to the afternoon class to work on the figure. It would be "good enough", but, I have a list of things to refine once I am home. I am happy with this work.


 At home, I rarely do any figures and this experience has taught me a great deal. Every week, I saw my figure go from alien-like to passing for human. I am grateful to my instructors for their patience and to the models who had to endure the poses day after day.



Classes on Friday were slightly altered due to our end-of-term party. I tried to work on the Bargue while holding a glass of wine (just kidding!). The most important time of the day was my final critique. Overall, I was doing very well. I am close to completing this Bargue and have another list of things to correct or be mindful of. The Bargue drawings were my favorite part of the day. This should be called 'slow-art". You can not rush the process. The results are beautiful and well worth the time and effort.


This entire trip has been a wonderful dream. We have been very blessed to have had the opportunity to live in Florence and travel the Tuscan region. "La dolce vita" - living the good life- is based on the simple pleasures in life. These were shown to us everywhere we traveled. They are true here and at home. Here are just a fewof the things that Florence has reminded me to cherish everyday.

Friends and Family
Florentines spend time - real time- with friends and family. They come together in the morning over a cup of expresso, again during the afternoon siesta, and late at night in the piazzas all over town. They never run out of things to talk about. A kiss on each cheek begins and ends the encounter.



A Good Cup of Joe
Coffee making is an art form in Italy. And taken quite seriously. Expresso, cappucino, latte... whatever you prefer is prepared with care and expertise. Meeting for coffee at any time of the day is a ritual that reinforces the social life.



Sights
The beauty of the Tuscan countryside is postcard perfect, and the medieval tourist sights are incredible. However, the true beauty within the stone walls of Florence may be hard to see at first. It is in the details and the craftsmanship that someone's hands had fashioned many years ago. Who these people were and how they lived and died is long forgotten.  Beautiful things take time to create. The time and care needed is testimony to the longevity of these pieces. Once my eyes were truly open, I discovered the door knockers, ironworks on buildings, sculpted heads over doorways and more.






Good Food
Simple pasta made from simple ingredients has been the best meal here. How lucky we were to have a pasta maker around the corner! Fresh pasta is ready in 3 minutes. The flavor is nothing like the boxed pasta from a store. Even though we tasted more dishes in three months than I can remember, pasta has been my favorite.



Art
I can not overlook the art - the obvious draw of Florence for many people. It is in the museums, churches, government builds, apartments and homes, ceilings, even on the sidewalk. Everywhere! It has been wonderful to look at pieces that I have only seen in books. I have been lost in their beauty and craftsmanship. And still asking myself, "How did he/she do that?"




Weather
I had to talk about the weather. The cold and rain has made some days unbearable. But, without the miserable days, I would not have enjoyed and appreciated the clear, warmer ones. Any day without a rain drop was call for rejoicing! I could not have started a disposable umbrella collection from Umbrella Guy if it was nice everyday!




So, don't always look for the big, "wow" sights in life. The smaller, less obvious details will surprise you. Appreciate everything that comes your way. Thank you to family and friends who are taking care of things at home. This trip would not be possible without you. Thank you to my husband for talking me into this trip - everything did work out just fine.

Thank you to all who took the time to follow this blog. I wish Happy Holidays and a New Year of "La Dolce Vita"!

2 comments:

  1. Very impressed with your patience, not only with the other blogger, but with the minute details in your drawings. Very beautiful work Beth, you should be proud of your accomplishments. We really enjoyed reading your blog about your experiences - what a lot of fun it must have been. Not only watching the smoking blogger walk up those hills, but seeing all the people and sites in the country. Have a safe trip home, we are looking forward to seeing you home again.
    Love,
    Liz, Rhiannon, Mo & Clair

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a true pleasure to read your posts and I felt like was by your side in an artistic sense. Your works are beautiful and show such refinement. Your study in Florence is a dream come true and I am so
    happy for you that you had this experience. Since I visited Italy in June,
    I could relate to many of your observations and your photos were so poignant. Thanks for sharing your trip with me. Safe travels home and Boun Natalie.
    Maria
    Maria

    ReplyDelete